Payroll has been disrupted, just like every other aspect of the workplace, by the global COVID-19 pandemic.
DailyPay conducted a survey among the attendees of the APA Congress Xstream 2020 and other payroll professionals. These were the results:
Among the more than 500 respondents, 97% of them were payroll professionals. These employees came from a variety of company sizes:
- 22% of the employees worked for companies with more than 10,000 employees
- 55% of them worked at companies with less than 1000 employees
- 23% of these employees worked for a company with a different size amount
- 64% of the respondents were in management positions including VP, director and above.
In the wake of COVID-19, the payroll team is driving change. 43% of companies said they had had a strategic initiative implemented by the payroll team within the last 6 months. 18% of these had done so within the past month.
Innovation comes with challenges. Despite the growing demand for implementing on-demand pay, payroll professionals still face some obstacles in getting started. Respondents were asked about which obstacles they faced in getting started with on-demand pay:
- 34% experience an issue with executive team buy-in
- 22% experienced compliance concerns
- Larger companies with over 10,000 employees stated compliance is their top concern 29% of the time.
- This number is reduced to 19% for smaller companies with less than 500 employees.
- 19% were concerned about potential extra workload
- 9% were concerned about employee overuse of on-demand pay
- 16% had other concerns
Seamless integration is key. 66% of respondents agree that it is important for an on-demand pay provider to seamlessly integrate with existing payroll workflow.
Employees were asked, “throughout the COVID-19 outbreak, how has/did your payroll team handle off-cycle payments?”
For companies with less than 1000 employees:
- 55% are managing it remotely
- 19% are going into the office
- 17% are not disbursing off-cycle payments
For companies with more than 10,000 employees:
- 75% are managing remotely
- 14% are going into the office
- 3% are not disbursing off-cycle payments
You can learn more about on-demand pay compliance and presenting on-demand pay to your executive team at dailypay.com/contact